RSS

GotTheGift
(@gotthegift)

ReplyQuote
Language-Gamer
(@language-gamer)
Member Moderator
31/10/2017 11:58 pm  

I think it might be too reductionistic to say it was about the centrality of Christ. In what way exactly? Weren't the Reformers worried about the abuse of church tradition, ecclesiology, salvation, etc. and how all of those related to Christ's person and work? To put it another way, I don't think the Reformers would be okay with the Catholic church today if they were alive.

That being said, I think the church is deeply shattered. I think we aren't even close to Jesus' vision of unity in John 17. I think church division has led to pneumatic absence that has deeply affected our practices, from the Eucharist to Scriptural obscurity, etc. I think trying to figure out what unity looks like now is deeply problematic. It's not easy by any means: we are still in conflict in a lot of ways. I'm not sure leaving Protestantism (or switching to Anglicanism, as I am more tempted nowadays) is the solution. Radner argues for the value of staying put. After all, I'm a Southern Baptist and there aren't exactly a lot of us that are actually serious about church unity. And all of this obviously goes deeper since we must also think of our Orthodox brothers and sisters.

Lastly, I really like what Bonhoeffer says about what it means to be Protestant. Being Protestant isn't about our protest against the world but about God's protest against us. I think if we truly believed that the world would be a lot better off. 

Parakletos liked
ReplyQuote
GotTheGift
(@gotthegift)
01/11/2017 4:53 pm  
Posted by: Language-Gamer

Lastly, I really like what Bonhoeffer says about what it means to be Protestant. Being Protestant isn't about our protest against the world but about God's protest against us. I think if we truly believed that the world would be a lot better off. 

Could you elaborate a bit more on this, please? 

ReplyQuote
Language-Gamer
(@language-gamer)
Member Moderator
01/11/2017 5:41 pm  
Posted by: GotTheGift
Posted by: Language-Gamer

Could you elaborate a bit more on this, please? 

His sermon can be found here. If it doesn’t link correctly, it starts on page 91, goes to page 100, and the quote is found on page 94. 

Basically, to hear God’s word and for that to be our ground over our own agendas. 

ReplyQuote
Language-Gamer
(@language-gamer)
Member Moderator
03/11/2017 11:49 am  

Btw, I am listening to this discussion on the reformation between two prominent Protestant theologians that promises to be really good. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register